Monday, October 06, 2008

I speak in the tongues of men and of angels

It's been some time since I wrote here. Partly, it is because I have had a lot of work, a lot of baby raising, and a lot of personal time to enjoy. I was pondering a lot of things and I am reminded of a few phrases that have had some relevance to me lately:

1) If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.
2) It is better to keep your mouth shut and have people think you are a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
3) Gossip is like a boomerang. It will hit its intended target, but don't forget that it comes back to the thrower.
4) Be who you are and say what you feel because those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter.

I have to let you know one important thing. The quote from paragraph #4 is often attributed to Dr. Seuss. I have to clear something up. It's not from the good doctor. Sure, it fits his later writing style (Oh, The Places You'll Go), but he didn't write it.

So what is this rambling all for? I guess I am an unapproachable person, because many people (from the courthouse, from non-work world, and even from church) have been very free with their words and judgments about me. I find that interesting, but more so, I find it sad. I am certainly not perfect, but well, suppose you could address the concerns directly to me. Anyways, I am just irritable enough to let bad attitudes get to me. So, take this real Dr. Seuss quote to heart this week: "So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads."

No comments: