Thursday, January 27, 2011

Her Milk Shake Brings All People Up in Arms

So a mom in Canada had a hungry infant and she began to breast feed the child, in a secluded area of the store, under a blanket. An employee of the store told her to stop doing that in the store. Canada mom, reasonably to a point, was upset. Then a flash mob of breast-feeding mommies staged "milk-in" at the mall. Okay, I had to comment and I don't care if I am a man. Here is a situation where both sides are right. Yes, moms who choose or have to breast feed their children should not be stigmatized for doing son. Yes, store owners should be able to say, "hey, I don't want you doing that in my store." It's a mall for cripes sake. The mall could set up a private area for moms to do that. The mom could have simply waited till she could go to another area, maybe even a sitting area, to do the feeding. Children will not die if they are not fed within seconds of crying. Hard to believe, I know.

What irritates me is everyone's reaction. Some said - hey, do that in the bathroom. Really? Would you eat a sandwich, or better yet, feed your child table food in the bathroom? Moms said - we have rights!!! Really? What about other people who also operate in public. Don't they have the right to choose what they or their children are exposed to? Moms said - oh, well, breast feeding is natural and if you can't handle that, maybe you should grow thicker skin or not have children yourself. WHAT THE F***? Really? You are so self-centered as to say that only your viewpoint matters. I do lots of things that are natural everyday! I don't do all of them in public, even under a blanket because it is or can be offensive to some people. I live in a world where I acknowledge that I am not the center of the world and others may react to my actions. Hmm...maybe the best course of action was for everyone to think how they affect others? Guess I'll go get a glass of milk now.

No comments: